How to Cultivate Wealthy Clients
That old saying is true—the rich are different. But not just because they have money. They tend to be suspicious of anyone who isn’t introduced to them by someone they trust.
So you need to move in circles where you will meet their lawyers, accountants, insurance agents and other handlers. These people, also known as flappers, serve to insulate the wealthy from the outside world.
This situation can be awkward for freelancers who need to be in regular, close communication with clients. But it is not likely to change in the near future.
So savvy freelancers will seek out these trusted confidantes and befriend them. At upscale networking events, introduce yourself to successful people who provide services to the wealthy. You might consider forming a leads club with others who cater to the affluent. And build services specifically for wealthy clients.
Offer Elite Freelance Services
Rich people not only want elite services tailored to their unique needs, they expect them. Be sure to treat them as special. Bundle your services in VIP packages with their name featured prominently at the top.
The affluent expect competency and expertise, and they are willing to pay handsomely for it.
The affluent expect competency and expertise, and they are willing to pay handsomely for it. Age can be a real advantage when servicing Baby Boomer clients, as they may perceive young professionals to be unseasoned.
Before spending, the wealthy need assurance from you that your services will knock their socks off. Therefore, always offer a money back guarantee. They may never avail themselves of this perk, but they value the integrity that it represents.
What are the unique advantages of choosing to work with your freelance company? How are you superior to your competitors? If your goods or services fall into one of the following categories, your chances of successfully selling to the rich increase:
- Anything involving finance
- Home improvement and design
- Hassle free, extravagant travel
- Fine wine and luxury goods
- Luxury real estate
- Opulent, high-quality gift items
Top Characteristics of the Affluent
- They are busy. Any presentation to them or their associates must reflect this. Get in, make your key points and get out. Your brevity will impress them.
- They are approval conscious. They want to be admired and respected by other prestigious people.
- They are youth-conscious. And will continue to do meaningful, productive work beyond age 70.
- They will pay well for genuine expertise. Earn a certificate, degree or credential in your field to further impress them.
- Simplicity is as important to the rich as brevity. Find a way to simplify their lives and you have an automatic in. Create products that can be perceived as simple.
- Many among the elite are proud of being value conscious. Just make sure that you are offering a quality product, not merely an inexpensive one.
- They are afraid of losing their assets. Therefore, any pitch that panders to this fear just might succeed.
- They don’t have the time to comparison shop. This will work in your favor if you engage them with brevity, and impress their colleagues.
After you’ve delivered exemplary service to the rich, don’t forget to obtain detailed and glowing referrals. Following up in this way will help to propel you further into the realm of the wealthy.