How Do You Do Self Promotion?
Ed. Note: Earlier in the week we looked at articles around the web on promotion and marketing strategies. Today, we’ll be exploring tips from our very own Patrik Larsson.
Self promotion is something we all do in one way or another, some of us do it by blogging (like me), some do it via communities and some even do it while walking down the street. But is there a good way to self-promote or is it harder than it looks? To promote yourself is one of the easiest and most difficult things you can do. Promotion tends to cost money but there are ways we can do it affordably yet effectively.
1. Make a print on an old t-shirt with your company name and what you do. People tend to try and read what it says, just keep in mind that you should keep it short. A lot of text is annoying to read on something that moves.
2. Hand out your business cards at a seminar, gathering, school event, or even at church. This way you get your name out there, though it may feel awkward at first.
3. Order a bunch of cheap pencils with your logo and service printed on them and give them out for free. People love free stuff.
4. Write for a blog! A tactic that I and so many others take advantage of. If your articles or posts are interesting enough, people will visit your site. Most of the blogs even pay you for writing for them.
5. Join a community and be active within the forums, if you’re active enough, people may visit your profile and check out your work.
There are so many ways you can market yourself easily and affordably. All you need to do is being a tad creative and make it simple. From my experience, people who read something on an object such as a pen or t-shirt, tends to actually visit the site to get an idea of what it is. Curiousity is something everyone has; you just need to make something that’s interesting enough.
For more tips and resources, check out my previous post highlighting five great blog posts on self promotion.
How do you do self promotion? Do you even bother to self promote, or are you one of the people spending a small fortune on advertising?